The story of an urban chicken farmer.

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Ouch!

As usual, this event happened after work one day.
My normal routine is to let the dogs out of their crates and put Jenny Basenji on the zippy leash, then run like hell around the yard with Betty running free. Jenny always sprints to the four or five places where she has scared up a rabbit once - in hopes of flushing one out again. When I say once, I mean once in the past year and a half. She never forgets where the chase took place and goes to at least two of those spots before stopping to pee and then runs to the next. The laughable thing is that when Jenny does actually manage to find a rabbit, she gets so hyper focused on where the rabbit was, that she doesn't see it take off with Betty chasing it on the opposite side of the trees (bush, flower patch, lawn mower, etc.). So then Betty gives a half-assed chase before I call her back with a "leave it" and she comes back to see what Jenny is so worked up about.

This time we were rounding the garage to the chicken coop area and I did not see that Blackie O. was out. Before I knew it, Jenny had grabbed her by the upper wing! There was much squawking and Jenny bite down on my thumb as she lunged to grab the chicken after I freed it. I managed to get Blackie O. back over the fence without too much fuss and she has since been out nearly every day, so there must not have been any serious injury. As for my thumb, there was a red spot under the nail for a few days - no serious injury.
One day, my wife said she came out to see that crazy chicken walking towards Jenny who was tied out. I personally doubt she would have actually gotten close enough to be eaten, but Bridget is not convinced we won't be less one chicken if we don't clip some wings.

No comments:

About Me

I am a guitar pickin' fiddle playin' chicken man livin' with a hot bass thumpin' woman.