The story of an urban chicken farmer.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Attack Rooster

Christmas day I was shoveling the snow in the chicken run (the chickens seem to dislike ANY accumulation of snow) and Betty was in the run too, eating chicken poop, when I noticed Fancy Pants (rooster) looking at the dog with his head down. I watched as the rooster suddenly got the nerve to do one of the jobs he was programmed to do - protect the flock. He leaped into the air at Betty and with much wing flapping landed on her back. Betty lowered herself to the ground in submission and the rooster leaped off and Betty headed towards the exit. Once more the rooster made his move and attacked the dog with his feet out and ready to rip. I hollered "hey!" and then called Betty to me. Then I got between the two and shooed the rooster away. After seeing that Betty was uninjured, I proceeded to pick the rooster up and carry him around for 5 minutes. He settled down and didn't fuss so I let him go and he gave Betty no more trouble.
Buff Cochin
Now that the rooster's got his balls, I will have to watch him at all times so I don't end up with torn pants or worse from his leg spurs. But now I know for sure he will do what he needs to do to protect his girls.

On a different note, the Brahmas are laying fairly regularly so we are up to 4 eggs a day IN THE DEAD OF WINTER! The Red Stars are laying large dark brown eggs and the Brahmas are laying light almost pink eggs that are still fairly small. Pretty sweet considering the lack of supplemental light.
Oh how I long for springtime.

No comments:

About Me

I am a guitar pickin' fiddle playin' chicken man livin' with a hot bass thumpin' woman.