The story of an urban chicken farmer.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Chicken who Flew the Coop

For the last few weeks, Blackie O. (Black Star hybrid) has been escaping. Yes, I know the run should be enclosed, but we don’t want to stoop over when we’re walking around with the chickens. This week, I came home to find Blackie O. outside the run, and three others (the 2 Red Stars and one of the Wyandotte) walking the top of the fence. I haven’t been able to observe them long enough to see an escape, or to see if they are chasing each other around. Blackie could be just going AWOL to get away from Matilda (Light Brahma) who seems to be the current leader of the Order of Pecking. Many times, I will find Marjorie Sue (Red Star) on the fence, but she has yet to visit The Other Side.
Now here’s the kicker. Today, Blackie O. was out but nowhere to be seen. I called “chick-owns!” like I do when I come around. Blackie O. came running from behind our house, and after a few seconds of walking around outside the fence she just flew herself back into the run. The dilemma is I can’t decide whether to clip her wing (and the other 3 who are most likely to be able to fly out) or just add 2 more feet of fencing around the yard. Clipping may not work according to anecdotal reports, and the fencing may not be high enough. And The Momma (that is, my wife) just pointed out that in the winter, there may be drifts of snow leading like a ramp up and out of the run anyway. I hope my research is correct and our chickens won’t much care for walking in snow.

No comments:

About Me

I am a guitar pickin' fiddle playin' chicken man livin' with a hot bass thumpin' woman.